Many dog owners are familiar with the sight of their pup with their head hanging out of the car window, tongue flapping in the wind. But why do dogs stick their head out of the car window?
It’s a scene that can fill any dog parent with joy but can it be dangerous too?
Let’s find out!
Why Do Dogs Stick Their Heads Out The Car Window?
Dogs love to stick their heads out the car window.
It’s as if they can’t resist the joy of taking in the great outdoors, no matter where you’re headed!
But why do dogs seem so drawn to adventure?
Here are 5 reasons why your pup loves to hang his head out that open car window:
1. It feels like freedom for them
To a dog- especially one who may not be allowed much free reign at home- sticking their head out of a moving car is like having wings!
The wind blowing through their fur and ruffling their ears gives them a sense of escape and liberation that we can only hope to understand.
2. They get an extra dose of smells
Dogs have a sense of smell that’s 40 times stronger than ours- so it’s no wonder they love to stick their nose out the window, inhaling the smells of their surroundings!
From roadside flowers in bloom to freshly cut grass, sticking their head out of the car allows them to take in more olfactory stimulation.
3. It feels like an adventure
Dogs are naturally curious and active creatures, so it only makes sense that they’d be excited by such an exciting prospect as a car ride.
To them, poking their head out into the breeze symbolizes adventure; while you may just be driving around town to grab groceries or see friends, your pup is living life on the wild side!
4. It’s easy for them to do
Unlike humans, dogs don’t need to worry about bugs flying into their eyes or hair blowing around in a mess. All they have to do is stick their head out the window and enjoy the ride- what could be easier?
5. It’s just plain fun!
Dogs love any activity that helps them bond with you- and going for car rides is no exception!
By sticking his head out of the open window, your pup gets to experience the joys of movement and fresh air on a journey with you; it’s like an extra dose of fun built into otherwise mundane errands.
Is it good for dogs to stick their heads out the window?
It may be tempting to let your pup take a joy ride with their head out the window, but you should think twice before letting them do so. Here are five reasons why it’s best to keep your dog’s furry face inside the car:
1. Safety first! Objects can come flying into the car and could easily injure an exposed dog head. That’s not what any pup parent wants for their four-legged family member!
2. Dirty air can cause respiratory problems in dogs, just like humans. Keep your pooch safe from dust, debris, and exhaust fumes by keeping them safely secured in the back seat or cargo area of your vehicle.
3. All that wind can irritate a dog’s eyes and skin, causing dryness of the nose or eyes, itchiness, and even infection. Keep all air vents closed when driving with your pup, and avoid that extra element of wind altogether!
4. Distracted driving is a serious hazard – no matter how much fun it looks like your dog is having with his head out the window, you can’t focus on the road if you’re worried about your pup in the back seat.
5. Finally, keep an eye out for other vehicles on the road – you never know when an unexpected driver may switch lanes or pull up beside you. Keeping your pup inside will help ensure they stay away from potential danger.
How Do You Drive a Dog Safely?
Dogs love to stick their head out of the window and feel the breeze while they are on a car ride.
But it may not be the safest option for your pup – you can’t control how fast they go, or where they are looking, which could lead to an accident.
So here’s how to keep your pup safe when driving:
1) Make sure they’re in a pet carrier or secured with a seat belt at all times – this will help protect them if there is an accident. Secure your dog properly while driving with them.
2) If your dog prefers sticking his/her head out of the window, invest in a special harness or guard specifically designed for this purpose. This will ensure that your pup won’t be able to jump out if they get too excited or distracted.
3) Play relaxing music – this will help keep your pup calm and relaxed during the ride, making them less likely to pull on the seatbelt or try to stick their head out of the window.
4) Offer frequent breaks – it’s important to give your dog regular stops so that they can stretch their legs and take care of business. This will ensure they’re not getting too restless in the car.
5) Make sure you always have treats on hand – keeping a few treats handy is an easy way to keep your pup entertained and distracted from any potential distractions outside the window.
By following these 5 tips, you can make sure your pup is safe and secure while they’re enjoying the car ride – no matter how excited they get! Happy travels!
Driving with a pup can be an exciting and memorable experience, but it’s important to take the necessary precautions to ensure your dog’s safety.
Following the five tips above will help you keep your pup safe and sound while they enjoy the ride!
So buckle up, play some relaxing music, and get ready for an adventure! Happy driving!
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings