Cats have long been treasured as beloved pets around the world.
They’re playful, loyal, and mischievous all at once – plus they look really cute when they’re asleep!
But cats are much more than just adorable critters to cuddle with; in fact, there are a lot of fascinating facts about them you might not know.
So why not get to know your own feline friend a little better with some funny cat facts? Who knows what fun surprises you’ll find!
Go ROFL With These Funny Cat Facts!
1. Cats can move their ears in all directions, to a total of 180 degrees! That’s twice as much mobility as dogs.
2. Most cats don’t meow at other cats – they only meow to communicate with humans!
3. When your cat kneads you with her paws, she’s not trying to show dominance or aggression – she’s actually showing that she feels safe and contented around you.
4. Cats can sleep for up to 18 hours per day – no wonder they have so much energy!
5. Cats can make more than 100 different vocal sounds while dogs can only manage around 10 – so no wonder cats often seem so much more expressive than their canine counterparts!
6. Cats are able to see in almost total darkness – they can also detect even the slightest movements thanks to their sharp vision and reflexes.
7. Studies have found that cats can reduce stress levels in humans, meaning if you want to relax after a long day or need extra help concentrating, cuddling your kitty may be just what you need!
8. Cats tend to be more active during twilight hours – this is due to their crepuscular nature, meaning they hunt and explore most when it’s neither too light nor too dark outside.
9. A group of cats is called a ‘clowder’, while an individual kitten is called a ‘kindle’.
10. When cats are happy and relaxed, they often expose their bellies to show trust – this is known as ‘belly flop’ behavior.
11. Cats have a third eyelid called the nictitating membrane which helps keep their eyes moist during sleep or when hunting for prey.
12. A cat’s tail is used for balance when walking or running – and also to express emotion!
13. Cats have scent glands located between their toes that leave unique ‘tracks’ whenever they walk around – this helps them mark their territory and find their way back home again.
14. When a cat rubs against you it’s not just being affectionate – they’re marking their territory as well!
15. Cat noses have unique patterns of ridges that are as individual as human fingerprints – no two cats’ noses look exactly alike!
16. Contrary to popular belief, cats actually love companionship and will often bond deeply with their owners. There’s even a term for cats who form strong bonds with people: “Ailurophiles”.
17. Did you know that cats can jump up to five times their own height? That’s some serious spring power there!
18. Cats can be left- or right-pawed, just like humans can be left- or right-handed.
19. Every cat has a different “personality” – just like people, no two cats are exactly alike!
20. Cats have a special membrane in their eyes that reflects light, which is why they glow in the dark!
21. Contrary to popular belief, cats actually love playing with water – just don’t expect them to take a bath anytime soon!
22. Cats purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine – about 20-140 Hertz.
23. Cats are able to survive falls from great heights – they just use their powerful legs and arched back to cushion the impact!
24. Cats’ whiskers aren’t just decorative – they are very sensitive touch receptors that aid them in hunting, and navigating and even help them avoid getting stuck in small spaces. A cat’s whiskers are known as “vibrissae”
25. A cat’s brain is 90% similar to a human’s – making them one of the most intelligent animals on earth!
26. Cats have an amazing sense of balance thanks to their inner ear, which helps them orient themselves when jumping or falling from high places.
27. When cats give you a headbutt it’s commonly known as “bunting” and is their way of showing affection.
28. Cats can drink water with their tongues in an amazing way – by lapping it up at a rate of four times per second!
29. Cats have a built-in heater in their fur coat – they can generate up to three times as much heat as other mammals of the same body weight thanks to their dense fur and abundance of sweat glands.
30. Unlike other mammals, cats lack a rapid eye movement (REM) phase in their sleep cycle which means they dream far less than humans do.
It is clear that cats are incredible animals, with a range of fascinating features and behaviors.
They can make wonderful companions, adding fun and joy to our lives.
Cats have been entwined in human culture for centuries. They form an important bond between us and nature.
Ultimately, cats provide us with endless fascination, as well as providing much-needed love and affection.
o why not take the time to appreciate your feline friend today? You won’t regret it!