It’s no secret that dogs love to sleep. In fact, they can spend up to 12-14 hours a day snoozing!
Generally, dogs sleep so much, but that is not the case every time.
But sometimes, getting your dog to actually fall asleep can be harder than it looks.
So, how to get dog to sleep?
If you’re finding yourself struggling to get your furry friend to catch some Zs, never fear!
With a little patience and the right techniques, you’ll have them sound asleep in no time.
Petpress has come up with ways by which you can help your dog sleep peacefully every night.
How Can I Make My Dog Sleepy?
Assuming you would like tips on how to get your dog to sleep, here are five things you can do:
1. Get them on a routine
A regular sleeping pattern will help train your dog’s body to know when it’s time to rest.
Try to put them to bed at the same time each night and wake them up at the same time each morning.
2. Keep their sleeping area calm and dim.
Create an environment that invites sleep by keeping noise and light levels to a minimum.
This will help cue their body that it is time to wind down for the night.
3. Exercise them during the day
A tired dog is a sleepy dog.
Be sure to give them plenty of physical activity during the day so they are ready to snooze come bedtime.
4. Avoid giving them food or drink close to bedtime –
A full stomach can make it difficult for your dog to get comfortable and fall asleep.
Try not to give them a big meal or let them drink too much water in the hours leading up to sleep time.
5. Practice some calming activities before bed
This could be something as simple as petting them gently or playing soft music.
The goal is to help them relax and feel sleepy so they are more likely to drift off when you put them in their bed.
What Causes a Dog Not to Sleep at Night?
There are a variety of reasons why a dog may not sleep at night. Some of the most common include:
1. Illness or injury
If a dog is in pain, they may find it difficult to sleep.
This is especially true if they are suffering from an illness or injury that is keeping them awake and uncomfortable.
Dogs can suffer from anxiety and stress just like humans.
If they are anxious about something, they may not be able to relax enough to fall asleep.
3. Separation Anxiety
Dogs who are left alone for long periods of time may start to experience separation anxiety.
This can make it hard for them to settle down and sleep, as they worry about their owners leaving them.
If a dog is not given enough mental and physical stimulation during the day, they may become bored.
This can lead to them being restless at night and finding it hard to sleep.
Dogs may have a hard time sleeping if they are too excited or worked up.
This can be caused by things like new people or animals in the home, loud noises, or changes in their routine.
What Do You Do When Your Dog Can’t Sleep?
We all know how important a good night’s sleep is. But what do you do when your dog can’t sleep?
There are a few things you can try to help your furry friend get some shut-eye.
First, make sure their sleeping environment is comfortable and calm.
A quiet room with no distractions is ideal. You might also want to try using a calming bed or blanket to help them relax.
Some dogs find relief from white noise, such as an air purifier or fan.
You can also try giving them a mild sedative prescribed by your veterinarian.
With a little trial and error, you should be able to find a solution that helps your dog sleep soundly through the night.
What Foods Make Dogs Sleepy?
There are a few things to keep in mind when looking for foods to help your dog sleep.
First, some foods may have the opposite effect and make your dog more energetic.
Second, not all dogs are the same and will react differently to different foods.
Third, always consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any new food, especially if they have any health conditions.
With that said, here are a few of the most popular sleepy-time foods for dogs:
1. Turkey – This Thanksgiving staple is known for its ability to make humans sleepy, and it can have the same effect on dogs. Just be sure to avoid giving your dog turkey skin, as it can be hard for them to digest.
2. Peanut Butter – A spoonful of peanut butter is a common sleep aid for humans, and it can work for dogs too. The high-fat content in peanut butter can make dogs drowsy, so it’s best to give it to them in small amounts.
3. Cheese – Like peanut butter, cheese contains high levels of fat which can make dogs sleepy. It’s also a good source of tryptophan, an amino acid that has been shown to promote sleepiness.
4. Salmon – Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have numerous health benefits for dogs including reducing inflammation and promoting relaxation.
5. Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins and minerals that can benefit your dog’s health, and they also contain complex carbohydrates that can help to make your dog sleepy.
Dogs can suffer from sleep problems just like humans. Though there are a lot of lazy dog breeds who might not face this problem much.
If your dog is having trouble sleeping, you can try the above-mentioned things you can try to help them get some shut-eye.
If you’re looking for a natural way to help your dog sleep better, try incorporating some of these foods into their diet.
Lastly, always consult with your veterinarian before making any changes to your dog’s diet or giving them any new food.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings