in

Warning – Your Favorite Pumpkin Spice Lattes Can Seriously Hurt Your Pet


dogs-eats-pumpkin

Many people enjoy pumpkin spice lattes as a favorite fall treat, but their pets’ beloved pumpkin spice lattes might be harmful to them.

The cause for concern is xylitol, a sweetener often found in “sugar-free” products especially candies.

Xylitol can be lethal to your dog if ingested. Even small amounts of the substance can prove fatal, so it’s important to monitor what your pet is ingesting.

What pumpkin components could harm your pet

According to the BC SPCA, there are a few components in the seasonal spice mix that can be harmful to dogs and cats. and here they are:

  • Cinnamon – this spice is safe in small quantities, but can cause diarrhea and vomiting in large amounts.
  • Cloves – these spices are poisonous to cats and dogs and can cause an upset stomach and in some cases depression or respiratory failure.
  • Nutmeg – this spice can be toxic for your cat, causing tremors and seizures when ingested. Some believe that nutmeg can cause hallucinations in some animals, and some may become more restless as a result.
  • Chocolate – it’s no secret that chocolate is dangerous for your dog and cat. Any form of chocolate can be harmful to pets, and depending on the size and breed of pet it can even be deadly.

This brings us to the Pumpkin itself.

The seeds from pumpkins are definitely toxic for dogs and cats, as they can cause an upset stomach and pancreatitis in pets.

Pumpkin itself is also extremely dangerous for your dog or cat to ingest, as it acts as a fertilizer to rapidly grow tumors in dogs and cats.

What happens if your pet consume pumpkin lattes

sick-dog

If your pet is seen to ingest the pumpkin spice latte, then you would need to watch out for these symptoms:

  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Seizures or tremors
  • Dehydration/Excessive thirst
  • Increase in urination
  • Bad smelling breath.  

If you see your pet showing any of these symptoms after drinking the latte, then you should call your vet immediately.

What to do if your pet is sick from a pumpkin latte

If you suspect your pet has ingested the yummy drink, then it’s important to get them medical treatment right away.

If possible, take a sample of the latte drink to the vet with you so they can determine if it’s toxic.

Don’t wait and see if your pet will get better, as the symptoms can be fatal.

Take your pet to the vet as soon as possible and don’t try to induce vomiting either.

The best thing you can do is be vigilant about what your pets are ingesting, and make sure all “sugar-free” products are put away and safely stored so they can’t get to them.

Summary

If you love the taste of pumpkin spice lattes and want to give them as a gift, we recommend purchasing non-spiced versions for your pets.

These spices can be toxic to their health and cause stomach upset or more serious symptoms like seizures.

Though it may seem tough at first not being able to buy these tasty treats for your pet, relieving yourself of that worry will make life easier in the long run.

We also offer information on other human foods which are safe for dogs such as kibble (dry dog food) and canned wet food with no added salt or sugar!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings