Do you have a dog that likes to work out? If so, a weighted vest might be the perfect accessory for them.
Weighted vests are becoming increasingly popular among pet owners because they offer a lot of benefits.
They can help improve your dog’s strength, endurance, and overall fitness.
In this blog post, we will discuss the best weighted vests for dogs and provide some tips on how to choose the right one for your pup!
Tips for choosing weighted vests
Weighted vests are available in a variety of sizes, weights, and materials. The most important thing to consider when choosing a weighted vest for your dog are:
The weight of the vest
You want to make sure that the vest is not too heavy or too light for your dog.
The weight should be evenly distributed throughout the vest so that it does not put a strain on any one area of your dog’s body.
The fit of the vest
You want to make sure that the vest is snug but not too tight. It should allow your dog to move freely and not restrict its breathing.
The material of the vest
You want to choose a breathable material that will keep your dog cool and comfortable while they are wearing it.
A few things to keep in mind
Here are a few things to keep in mind when using a weighted vest with your dog:
You don’t want to overwhelm your dog with the vest. Start by having them wear it for short periods of time and gradually increase the amount of time they wear it as they get used to it.
Don’t use it all the time
You also don’t want to overdo it with the vest. It should be used as a supplement to your dog’s regular exercise routine and not replace it.
Monitor your dog
It’s important to monitor your dog while they are wearing the vest. Make sure they are not showing any signs of discomfort or distress. If you have any concerns, consult with your veterinarian.
Best weighted vest for dogs
Now that you know how to choose a weighted vest for your dog let’s take a look at some of the best options on the market.
Here are our top picks:
The XDOG Weighted Dog Vest is a great option for dogs of all sizes. It comes in five different sizes and three different weights (15 lbs, 30 lbs, and 45 lbs).
It also has a comfortable fit with adjustable straps and breathable mesh material.
- WORLD’S GREATEST DOG HARNESS: The XDOG VEST provides over 50 Health Benefits both physically and mentally to enhance your dog's life. If you are looking to improve your dog’s health, build muscle, ignite performance levels, address dog anxiety or behavior issues then the XDOG Vest is a perfect tool to help you reach your goals. As soon as your dog is wearing the XDOG Vest it is immediately receiving the health benefits of fitness training by combining weight resistance with elastic resistance.
- CALM DOWN HIGH ENERGY DOGS NATURALLY: Most High Energy Dogs can be problematic and destructive around the house due to pent up energy that they are trying to release. As soon as your dog is wearing the XDOG VEST it immediately has a job and is now working for every movement. All it takes is about 127 seconds a day to put the XDOG VEST on and take it off which makes it easy to create a solution for dog behavior issues. The bonus benefit is that you are also exercising your dog at the same time.
- BUILD HEALTHY MUSCLE & LONGEVITY: The best and most natural way to build healthy muscle is through resistance training. Building muscle is important because as dogs age muscles deteriorate. Studies have proven that muscle is the key to longevity and a better overall quality of life. Greater conditioned muscles also support joint health and longevity as it reduces pressure on joints. Exercise also helps slow down the aging process of living cells and can lower the risk of health related diseases.
- IMPROVE PERFORMANCE LEVELS INSIDE & OUT: If you compete in dog sports and want to improve your dog’s performance levels then resistance training is a great way to break through performance plateaus. The XDOG Vest has shown to increase speed, jumping distance, and endurance. Exercise is a natural way to support a healthy heart, organ function, mental health and improve digestion. Resistance training can also lower the risk of injuries by keeping joints lubricated and improving joint flexibility.
- DOG ANXIETY & MENTAL HEALTH: The XDOG VEST is not only a great fitness tool, but also a great dog anxiety harness as well. The XDOG Vest combines warming or cooling compression, weight that mimics a hug, exercise to release endorphins and positive object association which creates more feel good chemicals in the brain. The XDOG VEST provides safe, proven and natural ways to address dog anxiety. The XDOG VEST may help dogs that are scared of thunder, fireworks, loud noises or new environments.
The BARKBAY Tactical Weighted Dog Harness is a great option for active dogs. It comes in four different sizes and three different weights (20 lbs, 40 lbs, and 60 lbs).
It also has a reflective strip for safety and a padded chest plate for comfort.
- 「Military Specifications Material」 High strength nylon construction for extra durability and dirt/water/abrasion resistance .Professional working dog vest for service, police or military dogs, but also good for hunting and all outdoor companion dogs
- 「Easy to Adjust&On/Off」3 heavy-duty quick release buckles allow you to install the harness in just a few minutes, 4 fully adjustable straps provide a snug fit and maximum mobility.
- 「MOLLE System & Dog Identified」MOLLE system on for carrying pouches, water bottles, and essentials. ID panel display area on the chest for Identify Your Dog. The whole package comes with1 tactical dog harness+1 X-bungee+1 SERVICE DOG patch.
- 「MAXIMUM CONTROL & SECURITY」Two heavy alloy metal leash clip attachments . One Front Clip for No-Pull control or dog training, and one Back Clip for casual walking or jogging. Reinforced top handle for additional control
- 「No Escape Design」Escape-Proof design for more safety.Reflective trim for visibility in low-light conditions .Ideal for Large Breeds such as Border Collie,Saluki,Samoyed,Shiba lnu,Siberian husky,Saluki,Samoyed,Shiba lnu,Siberian husky.
The RUFFWEAR Front Range Dog Harness is a great option for all dog breeds. It comes in five different sizes and three different weights (25 lbs, 50 lbs, and 75 lbs).
It also has a padded chest panel and reflective trim for safety.
- Made for extended wear: Lightweight, durable, and made for all-day outdoor adventures; Designed for easy on and off
- 2 leash attachment points: Reinforced webbing at chest stands up to pulling and gives additional control (ideal for training, too); Aluminum V-ring centered on back
- Padded for comfort: Foam-padded strips across the chest and belly provide equal load distribution and comfort when running, walking, or resting
- Customizable fit: 4 convenient points of adjustment for full range of motion; Easy access ID pocket for safe storage of your dog's tags
- Easy to see, day and night: Bright, easily visible fabric with reflective trim helps your dog stand out against any landscape day and night
The Albcorp Tactical Dog Vest Harness is a great option for small to medium-sized dogs. It comes in four different sizes and three different weights (20 lbs, 40 lbs, and 60 lbs).
It also has a breathable mesh material and adjustable straps for a comfortable fit.
- A Dog Harness Vest For Any Adventure - Suitable for hiking, walking, hunting, and k9 dog training. The service dog vest is available in S, M, L, and XL sizes and comes in black, blue, pink, and red.
- Better Control - The support dog vest has quick side release buckles with safety buttons. The front D-ring stops your dog from pulling, while the D-rings at the back allows for more leash attachment options.
- Display Your Pet's Badges - The front D-ring doubles as an ID or tag holder. There are hook and loop panels on both the front and along the sides of the reflective dog harness for attaching patches.
- Share The Load - The tactical dog harness comes with MOLLE loops along the sides. Here you can clip lightweight items for your dog to carry like treat and food pouches, water bottles, and other gear.
- Durability Meets Comfort - Made from heavy-duty nylon with sturdy stitching. The mesh padding of the harness vest allow for breathability while the adjustable straps create a snug, no chafe fit.
The Walktime Dog Weighted Vest is a great option for all dog breeds. It comes in five different sizes and three different weights (20 lbs, 40 lbs, and 60 lbs).
It also has a reflective strip for safety and a padded chest panel for comfort.
- Adjustable Weights, Distributed Training - The service dog vest allows you that individually add / reduce weight ingots (Need to buy 230g/pc weight ingots Separately) on the chest, front shoulders, back, waist, Build stronger muscles and strengthen on parts that you want for improving explosive takeoff and speed
- Safe Material, Easy Operation - The material of dog weighted vest can be used for resistance for up to 1,000 pounds, Heavy - duty stitching, Adjustable, The weighted dog harness worn almost like a jacket is perfect fit for dog to training with less effort. you can add a challenge to dog by hook up the harness to some weight or dog training cart
- Building Natural Muscle & Relieve Anxiety - Dog weighted vest can build muscle and strength during of dog walking, Doesn't have to take extra time. Burn excess energy in a aggressive dog and calming her down quickly. Shedding an Unhealthy Pound, Help pitbull to reduce an anxiety to promote a healthy cardiovascular system
- Recommend Small Medium Large Dogs - Please measure the size carefully before purchasing this present for your dog. Make your puppy stand out with dog harness with pockets, No pull dog harness with pockets are 5 size for your choice, Adjustable weights vest fits dog's waist from 19.5 inch to 43.0 inch (all 5 sizes)
- Unbundling Sales & Save More - The dogs are accustomed to use the vest without weights at first, and then gradually add the weights during training. So We sell weight ingots separately, so that you can buy any number of weights by training requirement, Rather than buying a large quantity of weights one time, You will save more.
As you can see, there are a lot of great options when it comes to weighted vests for dogs.
It’s important to keep in mind the tips we discussed when choosing the right one for your pup. And as always, consult with your veterinarian if you have any concerns.