You cannot resist yourself to fall in love with a cute child hamster. People usually buy it from a pet store just because of its cuteness. Then they soon realize that they are not equipped with everything that a hamster needs to thrive. So before getting excited and buying a pet hamster, you need to keep these seven things in mind. We will check it soon. But before that, let us inform you that taking care of a hamster is quite easy.
These small fluff balls are perfect for those who don’t have much space to keep a large pet. Playing with your charming little friend will give you tremendous joy and happiness. If you are busy, then they don’t need your attention all the time. In short, you don’t have to feel guilty just because you are busy and cannot pay full attention to them.
Now let’s check out those seven things which you should keep in mind before buying a hamster as a pet.
1. Exercise is the Key to Success
Hamsters usually love to run miles after miles, and we all know that running is considered to be one of the best activities. They should follow the same thing at your house. Now the question is, how can they do plenty of exercises in your home? Well, here is the solution for you.
- At first, you have to install a perfect size wheel. A proper size will prevent them from a back injury. You will find different cages with this wheel.
- Don’t keep it always in a cage. Still some times in a day try to play with your little pet with the Hamster ball. Always keep an eye on your friend when it is playing outside. Otherwise, it will get lost soon.
- Don’t buy a small cage. They love to live in a cage that has multiple floors with different rooms. Apart from that, small toys help them to live longer. Toys also make them happy.
2. Stop Loud Noises
If you are a music lover and love to hear loud music when no one is home, then prepare a quiet room for your little hamster friend. That’s because they mostly use noses and ears and loud music frightens them severally. Apart from that, you need to keep in mind that hamster pets sleep in the morning. So never disturb them when they’re resting are sleeping. Not only loud music but you also have to take care of the other loud noises like shouting, vacuuming, or a load TV. They even don’t like the sound of their cage when they are sleeping.
3. Never House Them Together
Some people must have surprised after checking this point. That’s because they know different same-sex hamsters that live together quite happily. But this pet is a bit different from others. If they live together, they will injure their partner. Death of one pet can also so happen just because of this. So it’s safe to make this pet live alone.
4. Enjoy Your Nights With This Night Owl
Do you know that these cute flap balls are nocturnal? They sleep in the morning and enjoy at night. So if you find this pet sleeping all day, don’t worry at all because it’s safe and healthy. As soon as the sun sets, they will start running on their favorite wheal. So if you are a night owl, you can enjoy with your little friend.
5. Hamsters Hate Vegans
Sometimes pet lovers think that hamsters are vegans. The funniest thing is they believe that this pet only eats vegetables and nuts. But it’s not true at all because these flap balls love to eat meat. If you treat them with chicken, they will fall in love with you. Apart from that, they love pallets, dried fruits, vegetables, and seeds. You can also give them cabbage, carrots, and cucumber. But keep in mind that you cannot treat them with citrus foods or onions.
6. Hamsters are Timid
If you find your little hamster in the wild, you will quickly understand that these are prey animals. They will never warm their owners just like a dog. You have to be patient. It will take some time. You have to understand that before picking up your new little friend, you have to gain their faith. Here are some excellent ways to tame a hamster.
- After getting home together, leave them alone. You can, of course, feed your pet. Give your new family member some water. But you have to spend at least one week like this. Let him get used to the new smells, sounds, and environment. In the main time, you will be amazed to know that they can build their new nest.
- It is already pointed out that you have to stop making loud noises in your home. Treat them as if they are your overseas friends. You have to practice to interact quietly. It’s their sleeping time!
- Don’t try to grab him around his cage. Don’t even try to chase him at the same time.
- You have to be slow and careful. Patience is the key to success. Never start playing with him on the very first day. You cannot even harm your new pet. Try to speak to him gently.
7. Avoid These Mistakes
You won’t believe that sometimes pet shop owners make this mistake. They buy two female hamsters and two male hamsters together. The main aim behind making this mistake is getting their babies. First of all, you need to keep in mind that sexing hamsters is a herculean task which cannot be performed if they are small. Second, if you think that if you house these male and female hamsters together, you will get their babies quickly, then you are making a huge mistake. That is not going to happen.
In that case, if you want to go for more than one pet, then you can house them in a particular cage. Sexing them is a bit difficult, but you can try it on your own. This is suggested to avoid a litter of hamster babies. Identifying the sex of a particular Hamster is also a difficult job. The solution here is searching for an ideal YouTube video. You will easily understand how to identify the sex of hamster.
So follow these simple steps and enjoy your little friend’s company for a lifelong.