Did you know that there are animals whose names start with the letter “U”?
These creatures can be found all over the world, and include everything from the Uakari (monkey) to the Urchin.
Each of these animals has its own unique features and habits, which make them interesting to learn about.
If you’re curious to learn more about some of these creatures, keep reading.
We’ll take a closer look at some of the most fascinating animals whose names begin with “U”. You might be surprised by what you find!
Wild Animal Names with U
- Ucayali spiny mouse
- Uganda Kob
- Uganda large-toothed shrew
- Uinta chipmunk
- Uinta ground squirrel
- Umboi tube-nosed fruit bat
- Utah prairie dog
Domestic Animal Names with U
Freshwater Animals Starting with U
- Uaru Cichlid
- Uganda nothobranch
- Ukrainian brook lamprey
- Ulrey’s tetra
- Umpqua squawfish
Sea & Ocean Creatures Starting with U
- U-mark sandperch
- Undulate painted ray
- Usumacinta sea catfish
Birds Starting with U
- Udzungwa Partridge
- Ultramarine Kingfisher
- Ural Owl
- Unicolored Jay
- Upland Goose
Amphibians Starting with U
- Uganda clawed frog
- Umar Treefrog
- Upland Chorus Frog
- Usambara Blue-bellied Frog
Reptiles Starting with U
- Upemba mud turtle
- Uzzell’s Lizard
Insects Starting with U
- Ulysses Butterfly
- Underwing moth
- Unlined Giant Chafer Beetle
The rarer this alphabet U is, the more interesting the facts about the animals starting with this alphabet are.
Here are a few facts about these animals that just sets them apart.
- The Uakari is a type of monkey that is native to the Amazon rainforest. Its name comes from the Quechua word “uakari”, which means “white one”.
- The Umbrellabird gets its name from its large, umbrella-like crest. This bird is found in the tropical forests of Central and South America.
- The Unicornfish gets its name from the long, horn-like growth on its forehead. This fish is found in the warm waters of the Indo-Pacific region.
- The Urubu is a type of vulture that is found in Brazil, Uruguay, and Paraguay. Its name comes from the Portuguese word “urubu”, which means “black”.
- The Uakari monkey is one of the rarest monkeys in the world. There are estimated to be only about 2,500 of these monkeys left in the wild.
Animal Names with U
Who said U had to be boring? Check out these interesting male and female names that start with the letter U.
Male Animal Names with U
Female Animal Names with U
There are not many animals whose names start with the letter U, but the ones that do exist are interesting and unique creatures.
The uakari is a type of monkey found in the Amazon rainforest, and the umbrella bird gets its name from the unusual shape of its tail feathers.
The uromastyx is a type of lizard found in North Africa.
So even though there may not be many animals whose names start with U, there are still some fascinating creatures out there with this initial in their names.
You can also check out the list of names of animals from A-Z that will open up new horizons of animal names that inhabit the planet Earth.